Odessa Elene Nulph is a reserved, charming and undeniably classy young sorceress with a connection to the lower planes.
Odessa is a quiet, poised, elegant young mage with unmatched social graces. While many of her opponents tend to underestimate her, they quickly learn that they do so at their own peril.
Despite her formal, proper demeanor and emphasis on etiquette, Odessa detests snobbery, prejudice, discrimination and cruelty in all of its forms; the quickest way to make an enemy of Odessa is to be a bully. She is quick to stand up for others and, despite her small size, she proves to be shockingly fierce.
Odessa has a stubborn and fiery temperament, along with a powerful, unrelenting sense of conviction. When she's right about something, she's right. When she's made up her mind about something, that's all there is to say about the matter. While this doesn't mean she's unwilling to listen to others or take their advice, she tends to be very confident in her decisions.
If one had to describe Odessa in a single word, that word would be "Glamorous". She's the epitome of grace and elegance; she's always polite, always charming, always has a sweet smile. And while her silver tongue does stem from her demonic blood, Odessa possesses a charm that is undeniably all her own. When she walks into the room, people notice. They can't help it; Odessa is all beauty, class and elegance. While some find her intimidating or even a bit strange, she has an undeniable presence that is impossible to ignore.
As she was raised in the lap of luxury, she has never wanted for anything. She's always had the best, including designer clothes, jewelry, private lessons and so on. She delights in the simple things, like new shoes or diamonds. She has a very classic, vintage look to her and is never seen driving without her driving gloves and Audrey Hepburn-esque sunglasses. She loves shopping and, more than anything, finds a lot of joy in buying extravagant gifts for her friends. A lover of parties (read:fancy parties, balls and banquets), she loves throwing themed parties. She isn't a snob by any means and there's a sort of frank innocence about her lifestyle that would immediately dispel the idea.
At her core, Odessa is something of a den mother and happy homemaker. The first thing she did when she moved into Owlpen was to completely clean and organize the entire house. When guests come over, Odessa goes into "Hostess Mode": she bakes, keeps guests topped off on their preferred drink and otherwise does her best to make her guests as happy and comfortable as possible.
As poised and well-mannered as she is, Odessa does have a dark side. When she is provoked to anger, she is a force to be reckoned with and can be quite frightening in such a state. Even so, nobody could accuse Odessa of lacking in empathy or compassion. She's always willing to see the best in others, even in the likes of the demon brothers Virgil and Mephistophales. And while there are some that would argue her willingness to see the good in even demons as just proof of her extreme naivete, it could also be argued that this is just further proof of the extent of her good nature.
Odessa has died and come back twice, and for this reason she will never quite be the person she might have been otherwise. There is something distant, unattainable, almost otherworldly about her; a barely detectable glint in her eyes that hint of the worlds she's seen from which mortals aren't meant to return. She has always felt something was missing or lost, and there's an undeniable sadness or longing about her that creeps up on her from time to time that she can't quite explain.While Odessa can get a bit lost in her sadness at times, she's become exceptionally talented at putting on a brave face which only those who truly know her best aren't fooled by.
Although relatively still new to the world of the supernatural, Odessa is quickly coming into her own as a talented sorceress and she has already proven that she's not someone to underestimate. Having found herself in the middle of a war between heaven and hell, she is determined to whatever it takes to protect the world and to save it from those who would see it destroyed.
Powers & Abilities Edit
As a Mage, Odessa has all of the standard powers and abilities of her kind. She also has a series of skills, talents and other supernatural abilities, described below:
- Anti-Telepathy Tattoo: Odessa has this glyph tattooed on the back of her neck, though certain enchantments have made it invisible to the human eye. This means that no Outsider is able to read her mind unless she allows it.
- Anti-Possession Tattoo: This sigil is tattooed over her heart, though enchantments make it invisible to the human eye. This tattoo makes ghosts, demons and angels alike unable to possess her body.
- Dancing: Odessa has been trained in ballet since she was a little girl. She's a very, very good dancer.
- Demon's Blood: The blood of a demon is an extremely potent supernatural substance. Imbibing it can change a person, granting them special powers or powerful magic. The subject is altered, gaining a minute portion of a demon's natural connection to Hell. Drinking a demon's blood will create a bond or connection between the drinker and the demon.
- Alluring: The demon's blood in her makes Odessa supernaturally alluring to others. Whenever she uses magic to charm someone, such magic is more potent.
- Corrupting Touch: Drawing on the demonic power in her blood, Odessa is capable of flaring a sort of infernal aura, causing those she touches to become shaken and disturbed for a short time.
- Fire Affinity: Her natural connection to hell has given Odessa a flair for fire magic.
- Infernal Resistance: The demon's blood protects Odessa from fire and fortifies her immune system, making her less likely to succumb to poison.
- Protection from Good: Odessa can draw on infernal magic to protect herself and her friends from positively-charged magic, such as the magic wielded by angels.
- Etiquette: Odessa is the epitome of composure and social grace. She's able to thrive in almost any civilized get-together. She's good at reading people and saying what they need to hear.
- Nosferitsu Training: Arthur has taught Odessa this strange, eclectic fighting style specifically designed to be used against Vampires.
- Photographer: Odessa has the photographer's eye and is capable of taking professional-level pictures.
- Singing: Though lacking any formal training, Odessa is a naturally talented singer. Her singing voice has been described as "melodic, beautiful and, ironically, angelic".
- Violin: Odessa has been playing the violin since she was eight years old. She's good enough that she beat a demon in a fiddle contest. Then again, the demon was a terrible violin player.
Odessa also possesses all of the standard weaknesses and vulnerabilities of her kind.
- Infernal Aura: The aura she generates from the demon's blood makes good-aligned objects difficult to hold. Intense good energy makes her feel nauseous or grumpy.
- Pride: Odessa is extremely proud and is loathe to admit when she's wrong or when she needs help. Her pride also gives her a short temper from time to time.
- Spiders: Odessa has a very real fear of spiders.
Early Life Edit
Odessa was born December 21st, 1996 to Roland and Victoria Nulph. Tragedy struck when she was only a few weeks old, however, when she died in her crib. Her parents, stricken with grief, they turned to black magic, sacrificing a maid in a dark ritual to recall Odessa's soul. The ritual worked, but it was flawed; she brought a Hitchhiker along with her; a malevolent spirit that latch onto returning souls. This warped and twisted the young child's personality and this, combined with Virgil's unseen influence, turned Odessa into a horrible monster that even scared her grandmother.
The Deal Edit
She died again at seven years old in a fit of blind, homicidal rage when her heart gave out. In desperation, they contacted an old friend of Roland's mother; the demon Mephistopheles, who brought Odessa back again at the price of Roland's soul. Victoria sold her soul to ensure Odessa was brought back as close as they could, and for Mephisto to give her some of his blood to make sure she had magical abilities. After all, she'd lose both of her parents in ten years and they wanted to ensure she would be able to take care of herself. The Nulphs also elected for Odessa's memories to be erased, so she remembered nothing prior to the second resurrection.
Odessa grew up sheltered and removed from the world around her. She never quite fit in with people her age and she soon retreated into her own private world of photography, Blues music and Audrey Hepburn movies.
She was never close to either of her parents; both maintained a sort of distance and spent the majority of their time away at work. Although Odessa never wanted for anything monetarily, she also never received the love or affection that she desperately craved. Growing up, Odessa felt alone and, to a degree, unlovable.
When she was sixteen, she developed a crush on the athletic, handsome Richard Bhainer and was thrilled when he asked her out on a date. Her happiness quickly turned sour, however, when vicious rumors began to spread about her the very next day; rumors which, as it turned out, had been started by Richard himself. When he tried to confront Odessa in order to apologize, she lashed out with magic and accidentally set his coat on fire. Although Richard was mostly unharmed, the incident disturbed Odessa. She did her best to rationalize what had happened, but the incident stayed with her all the same.
In 2013, Odessa's parents died when Mephisto returned to collect their deal, though this was covered up and Odessa believed for some time that her parents had died in a car collision. She assumed she'd be going to live with her grandmother and so was rather shocked to learn she would instead be going to Sacramento, California to live with her uncle. Despite her reservations about moving in with an uncle she never met, she decided to make the best of things.
A New Day (Urban Arcana - Season 1) Edit
Shortly after moving in with her uncle, Odessa discovered the truth about her identity as a sorceress and began to hone her new abilities. She also began public school (something new for her) and even made some friends. Although things seemed to be looking up for the first time in Odessa's life, matters become complicated when she finds herself embroiled in an elaborate plot to open Hell's gate. Along with her new friends, Odessa has to find a way to stop this from happening while also surviving the worlds of celestial warfare and high school.
For more information, see the episode guide.
Major Relationships Edit
Edgar Nulph Edit
Odessa shares a special bond with the eccentric mage, Edgar Nulph. Although she was initially weary of going to live with the "black sheep" of her family, someone whom she had never actually met, Odessa quickly came to reverse this stance shortly after meeting her uncle. It's not just that Edgar let Odessa into his home (no questions asked), but he also gave her the one thing she'd always wanted: family. Odessa cares deeply for her Uncle and there isn't anything she wouldn't do for him.
Arthur Reid Edit
Almost from the moment Odessa first met Arthur, she found that she couldn't help but admire the courageous vampire hunter. With no expectation of reward or compensation of any kind, he agreed to help Odessa with her vampire problem and even trained her in how to defend herself. Even with her powerful feelings for Virgil, Odessa found herself attracted to Arthur; to his courage, his kindness and these feelings only grew in the time they spent together. Although Odessa initially tried to push Arthur away in order to protect him from Virgil, she found that she couldn't deny what she felt for him after he professed to being in love with her. Their relationship hasn't been perfect (the shadow of Virgil still seems to hang over them) , but Odessa loves Arthur with all of her heart and being with him has made her happy and fulfilled in ways that she never dreamed she would be.
Odessa shares an admittedly complicated relationship with the demon Virgil who has been both friend and enemy to her since she arrived in Sacramento. Almost from the moment Odessa first met Virgil, she felt a powerful attraction to him which turned to genuine feelings as she came to know him. In spite of his nature, Odessa never truly saw Virgil as being evil; he had done evil things, but he wasn't evil, not really. She saw good in him and believed that, if anything, Virgil was misunderstood. After sleeping together, Odessa's feelings for Virgil had only grown and she was heartbroken when the demon began to push her away. Odessa's heartbreak turned to horror, however, when Virgil began to lash out at Arthur (whom she'd grown closer to in the meantime) and matters only worsened after Odessa and Arthur began to actually date. In spite of this, Odessa still testified on Virgil's behalf and, although she's angered and hurt by his recent actions she still ultimately believes in Virgil. Whether or not her faith is well founded remains to be seen.
Odessa shares a unique relationship with the demon Mephisto. Not only did he bring her back from the dead, but he also gave Odessa some of his blood; ensuring that she would have magical abilities when she got older. Since her parents passing, Mephisto has also become something of a guardian for Odessa and he has protected her on many occasions. Although Odessa was initially angry at the demon for taking her parents away, she has since forgiven him and has even formed something of a bond with him. Odessa cares for Mephisto and he has quickly become a member of her misfit supernatural family.
Odessa is very fond of the laid back, earth bound angel who became a fixture at the Owlpen shortly after her arrival. Not only has Haniel gone out of his way to help protect Odessa, but he's also become a close friend of hers and someone whose advice she greatly values. Unbeknownst to him, Haniel has also given Odessa hope in terms of the other side (heaven and angels). While Virgil painted a pretty grim picture of the reality of heaven, Odessa believes that if there are angels like Haniel out there, then the other side can't really be that bad, can it?
Walt was one of the first friends Odessa made after starting public school and, since that time, he has proven to be both a steadfast ally and very dear friend of hers.
Odessa thought that she had sworn off love forever after the unfortunate outcome of her date with Richard Baner, but all of that changed after she met Sven. Not only was he handsome, brave and kind, but he was also a genuine friend to Odessa. Although the two hadn't dated for very long, Odessa cared very deeply for Sven and was heartbroken by his untimely death at the hands of Crowley. While already committed to stopping him from opening hell's gates prior to this, Crowley's murder of Sven made things personal for her and she'll do whatever it takes to make sure that Sven is avenged.
- Bag of Holding: This bag, which looks like Odessa's purse is enchanted to be much bigger on the inside. This allows her to carry a whole bunch of stuff without the backpack getting heavier.
- Bracelet of Summoning: This bracelet has a number of charms on it. When a charm is ripped off and thrown to the ground, it summons a powerful extraplanar ally.
- Broom of Flying: This is a standard racing broom. She's not very good with it, but she's getting better.
- Iron Dagger: A simple iron dagger, capable of injuring a demon and even repelling ghosts.
- Ring of Protection: This simple ring has a number of wards and enchantments intended to keep Odessa safe from harm.
- Wand: Odessa's wand allows her to cast spells without somatic and most material components.
- Odessa's favorite color is pink
- Her favorite movie is Breakfast at Tiffany's
- Favorite book is Gone With The Wind
- She's a vegetarian
- Prefers tea to coffee
- Loves the cooking channel